Science Culture Educational Center Aristotelio, Greece
Nikolaos Makris teaches Sciences, Maths, Physic and Astronomy in primary and early secondary students 6 ' 15 years old in Science Culture Educational Center Aristotelio at Volos Greece.
Nikolaos is an active user of ISE resources and participates regularly in ISE activities in Greece. With his colleague Elpiniki Kamosou,he also submitted an entry to the 2014-2015 Learning with Light competition, which was of such high quality that it was Highly Commended.
Learning with Light competition entry
Nikolaos' and Elpiniki's entry to the competition is called "From Science to Art - Gone with the speed of light". Describing their entry Nikolaos and Elpiniki say:
The objective of the project is for the students to understand intuitively and empirically through holistic, innovative and creative approaches about the propagation of light and how this affects the way we perceive the world around us.
Two parallel inquiry-based educational scenarios (teaching interventions) were designed with different topics. In the first scenario, the main concept is the scientific approach of light propagation. More specifically we investigated the manner in which the light coming from a light source is moved, reflected - diffuses and reaches the eye causing our sense of vision. The second scenario referred to an approach of light through the art by analysis and creation of art forms. As in the first inquiry-based educational scenario, the approach of light programmed and designed by activities which are related only on the propagation of light and consequently the creation of shadow. The main purpose of this approach is that the students would understand intuitively and empirically the propagation of light and how it affects our perception through the works of art. Both scenarios were based on an innovative approach in accordance with the principles of inquiry-based learning.
Here are some of the resources Nikolaos and Elpiniki used in their entry:
- F$B4f5PvtiyzyQD$D$">Learning Scenario Guided educational pathways (inquiry based)
- Learning Scenario UDL Collaborative learning- Jigsaw method
- Problem solving
- Eratosthenes Experiment_Elementary_School - GTTP
- Measurement of the Earth Circumferance
- '''' '' '''''''? '' '' (Measurement of the Earth Circumferance)
- Orienting: Provide contact with the content and/or provoke curiosity
- Salsa J - A brief tutorial
- Opening files with Salsa J
- Setting scales with Salsa J
- The YouTube video Refraction - Science experiment
- The YouTube video Refraction of light explained through cup water and coin - Science experiments for kids