Laboratory Center of Natural Science of Serres (EKFE Serron) - Greece
Sotirios Mandiliotis is the responsible for the Laboratory Center of Natural Science of Serres.
Sotirios is an active use of ISE resources and participates regularly in ISE activities in Greece. He also submitted, together with his colleague Nikolaos Nerantzis, an entry to the 2014-2015 Learning with Light competition, which was considered to be one of the top 5 entries to the competition by the judges. As a finalist, Sotirios took part in the Science on Stage festival in London on 17-20 June 2015 where the overall winner of the competition was announced.
Learning with Light competition entry
Sotirios’s and Nikolaos' entry to the competition is called "Lasers & Bubbles", a description can be found here. Describing their entry Sotirios and Nikolaos said:
Our project combined prior knowledge, visit to a scientific lab, self-motivated team-working students, exploring as researchers, describing as scientists, inquiring and explaining, visiting & interacting with a museum’s apparatuses. The educational outcome is stable knowledge about the core scientific ideas of atom, radiation and the interaction between them, better relationship between teachers and students, positive self-esteem of the students and educational material. The project’s approach is not a typical/common didactic approach to Hellenic Schools. As teachers we saw our students acting, asking questions to trying and trying again and being happy. We succeeded to integrate the emotion component in learning, cooperation and consistency & continuity to teaching.
Here are some of the resources Sotirios used in his entry:
- The Energy Poster (for the basic concepts): http://portal.opendiscoveryspace.eu/node/822367
- “Properties of a rainbow” (to connectwith the history of science): http://portal.opendiscoveryspace.eu/edu-object/properties-rainbow-419701
- Eye resource (on how dangerous laser is for our eyes): http://www.inspiring-science-education.net/sites/default/files/1_14_Eye.pdf
- “Eyes' hidden secrets” (on how dangerous laser is for our eyes) http://portal.opendiscoveryspace.eu/el/edu-object/eyes-hidden-secrets-675434
- Aurora Borealis: http://portal.opendiscoveryspace.eu/edu-object/aurora-borealis-13547
- http://portal.discoverthecosmos.eu/node/107194 on Light pollution
- Newton’s mistake: http://portal.discoverthecosmos.eu/node/132277